Friday, November 7, 2008

let it snow.

SNOW! As much as winter bothers me (especially the time it takes to get two kids out the door) I love the first snow. It's so pretty, so different, so new. My excitement was heightened this year by the two kids who were ecstatic to see the obscure white blanket covering the yard. Rhys and Ammie starred out the window for the longest time taking in the new scenery, they weren't even interested in their morning cup of milk! I was asked a million questions about the 'now' (snow...Rhys doesn't say the 's'. When James tried to correct it this morning it turned into 'Th-now'); how did the snow get here, where did the rain go, why is it on the cars, why is it on the trees, when can he go play in it, do we have a little boy shovel...on and on and on.
Winter is so long in Winnipeg, month after month after month of white, jackets, runny noses, cold cars, shoveling, indoors, and dry skin. While I hate freezing my butt off (I don't retain body heat very well) I have to point out that I love Winnipeg because of the distinct season changes. Each season is so defined and beautiful in it's own right. Each season ushers in a time of visible change; something that I find strangely comforting. Each season brings with it something to look forward to...snow brings Christmas. I love Christmas. I love the time of giving, of family, of friends. I love the time of hot chocolate, carol singing, and decorating. I love the time of brinkerhonkers (can anyone guess what it is?), Christmas trees, and Christ. This year I especially love that our family will be expanded to 5 little ones to wrap gifts for. I'm glad that Rhys is a year older and can understand Christmas that much more.
So, here's to the first snow and to a new season!
I've made a Christmas Song playlist to get all of you into the Christmassy spirit.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

JuliaD said...

I'm seriously gonna miss the snowcover this year. i'll be lucky if i get a couple days here and there. :) but in the spirit of the nearing christmas season i bought powdered capuccino today: one can of chocoalte and one can of caramel. and a big can of whipped cream to top my steaming mugs of yumminess off. YUM!!!

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually