Saturday, December 6, 2008

bundle time.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I was horribly unprepared for winter this year. My list of winter gear to get for the kids was a lot longer than it should have been considering we live in a climate that is dominated by blizzards and killer wind chill. I needed jackets, mittens, scarfs, pants, boots, hats...everything. Thankfully Ammie fits into Rhys' old snowsuit, and I'm not the type to care if the colours are right or not (since she's probably going to outgrow it in record time). My last piece to the puzzle, Ammie's boots, were purchased this past Wednesday which meant that my children could now venture into the Great White North. I am very excited about this fact, something that is driven by 'cabin fever'.
On Thursday I bundled the kids up (which took me, and I'm not joking about this, half and hour to do), plopped them in the waggon, and dragged them over to Cousin Cadens house. What a workout! I was huffing and puffing, drenched and exhausted by the time we pulled the waggon up to the house. "I must do this more often" I excitedly exclaimed. The children loved getting out of the house and Ammie found it so relaxing that she slumped over and fell asleep on the way home...it also could have been that I tied her scarf a bit too tight. So, I must say a big THANK YOU to Ruth for giving me the motivation to get out of my house in order to freeze the sad/bad cells, because it totally worked.

*on a side note, my friend Jen called just after I got home from our snow adventure asking if she could come over for a little while. I enthusiastically agreed to having someone over. We had a nice chat while the kids napped, she stayed for dinner, she helped me get the kids off to bed and then did the best thing a friend could do...we stayed up late watching Pride and Prejudice whilst drinking some very yummy wine. We compared the new version of Pride and Prejudice to the BBC version and then to the book. We repeatedly gushed over Mr. Darcy and gave our opinions of all of the characters, the scenes, the furniture (that was mainly my doing)...all while stuffing our faces with Christmas baking. All in all, a very good day*

5 comments:

Jordan said...

I had to chuckle when I saw that picture of the kids all bundled up because it reminded me not only of my childhood (I was the overprotected first child), but also of a scene from my favourite holiday movie: A Christmas Story. Have you seen it? There's a scene where the little brother falls down in his snowsuit on the way to school and can't get up because his mom bundled him up so much.

Your winter walk story made me realize I've got cabin fever too (or, more accurately, library fever). As soon as exams are done I think I will build a big snow fort...

bria erskine said...

And the funny thing is...Ammie couldn't move when she had everything on. In fact, she did, at one point, fall over and wiggle around helplessly on the floor. I couldn't even help her because I was laughing so hard. Yes, I have seen 'A Christmas Story' and yes, it did remind me of the little brother. Very funny.

Roo said...

that is sooooooooooo so so great bria! so glad you did that. :) sounds like a perfect day in mommy land.

and i know what you mean about taking FOREVAH to dress the little pumpkins. that's a workout in itself. :)

Anonymous said...

The only thing missing from your story Bria, was Rhys did not ask to go pee after you bundled him all up. Just wait, it will come!---Mom

JuliaD said...

i love how amelia looks like maggie from the simpsons in her standard star-shaped snowsuit. :P

and that evening with jen sounds incredible. ah pride and prejudice. sigh. :)

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually