Saturday, April 25, 2009

an update on the thrifting journey.

Thrifting for a year hasn't actually been that hard for me...amazing, I know. I've been able to get some hand-me-downs from my mom and a few 'spend-this-money-on-new-clothes' gifts for Christmas and my birthday. When I have needed something I've gone to the thrift store, found the item, and then quickly realized that I don't actually need it. While the thrifting has provided a good character building year for me it's also been good for our bank account. I've even found that when I go to the thrift store to look around at what they have I'll inevitably put all of the clothes back on the racks. I guess you could say I've learnt to live with what I have. I've also found that buying the newest 'look' isn't always fashionable or classy. Not to say that it's all been a breeze, there have been days and weeks that I've battled the shopping bug, especially when those around me are able to buy nice new things. It's been good for me none-the-less. I'm actually considering setting a similar goal for myself when this thrifting year is up.
*shopping abstinence is also made easy when my mother buys me a brand-spankin' new winter coat for only $1.95*

1 comment:

mom said...

The coat buy the way had the name Bria written all over it! It looks fabulous on you! What a great buy.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually