Wednesday, October 15, 2008

homesteading (part two)

For some time (years actually) my husband and I have been giddily (?) and nervously planning our escape into the great wilds of Northern Manitoba to homestead. Our main plan is to avoid the impending doom of the economy and lead a mainly self-sufficient lifestyle. I was hoping that the economy would hold for at least a few more years so we can make all of our preparations, but it's not looking so good. My father trades commodities and stocks for a living and as a result I get a constant update on how close the world is to financial disaster.
Anyways, my plan was to write another long homesteading post about some more specific plans but my husband beat me to it. If you are at all interested in what our family is hoping to accomplish in the next few years I would highly suggest visiting his blog and reading all about it. While, at first, it may come across as a joke, I assure you that it's not. We've actually started lists and set time frames and started reading (yes, I do read-up on how to skin rabbits). It also may come across as being a tad extreme...but I guess you can decide that for yourself. The wealth that North America has experienced since the 80's cannot last forever. Our lifestyles that we've become so comfortable with rely wholly on cheap gas and if you know anything about the Hubbert Peak Theory one can't help but be concerned. I thoroughly believe that in the next few years we will see a major shift in North America as the poor become poorer and the rich become richer. Things we once took for granted, like winter trips down to Mexico or even road trips to the States, will become increasingly difficult as we find ourselves hard pressed for even the most basic of items. A prime example of this came the other day when the Free Press ran an article about the 'Economic Doom and Gloom'. In the article Winnipeg Harvest was highlighted with the co-coordinator, David Northcroft, saying "The pressure of the food bank continues to grow rather than shrink" and that "It's worse than we thought." Winnipeg Harvest is also seeing more and more 'working poor' Manitobans come through their doors as companies are going through layoffs due to the trade issues with the States.
Both James and I are trying to expand our skills for when we make the move. I am currently learning how to knit, sew, and garden as James is about to get his PAL and Hunter's Safety and is also constantly reading up on how to build practical things (like a log cabin).
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the issue, even if you totally disagree with our plan of action. I also want to emphasize my husbands comment that any friends or family that wish to join us in this crazy adventure are welcome, after all, I will need some friends up north.

5 comments:

Roo said...

bria -- my brother and i have been talking about this VERY thing. last weekend (over our family thanksgiving dinner) we were talking about what it would take to live in "community" and ways we could further simplify our living.

i think that...the crisis can be actually turned to a blessing as we are forced to live more dependantly (with each other) as apposed to our current independant lifestyle.

xo

bria erskine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bria erskine said...

Ruth, I agree very much that it can be turned into a blessing for people who let it. I have to agree that we will need to help eachother through the hard times to come. Our origional hope was that people would move with us and that we could start a community of people who have come together with a similar vision. I would still love for this to happen but the longer you wait, the harder it gets to make the move.

JuliaD said...

count me so IN! i've got some mad skills. i can write books to keep us entertained in the evenings in front of the fire. and i can wash dishes. lol. OH AND I CAN EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN. cuz i'm a teacher. ahem. well, i like to think i am. anyways, i can be their tutor! sweet

Anonymous said...

Now we need a doctor.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually