Friday, January 23, 2009

fargo.

Since having the babies James and I have only been able to sneak away a handful of times. This week we were able to take another short trip to spend time as a couple. Yay! This whole year we were excitedly planning a vacation down to Cuba but we decided on a much better location, FARGO! Woo-hoo! As much as both of us wanted to take a warm holiday we were mainly set on spending a few days enjoying each others company...wherever that may be. Awe. So Fargo it was and I must admit that I had a grand ol' time. I forgot how much fun it was to just be young 20-somethings; I don't get to do that too often...ever.

We stayed at a really nice hotel with a great big hot tub and pool area (a must in my books). We shopped and ate and shopped and ate and ate and ate and ate. Glorious.


This may sound horrendous, but one thing that struck us as we were down there was how BIG everything was; big stores, big food, big portions, big products (small prices), big sizes, big people. BIG! James ordered a large popcorn at a movie that we went to and HOLY COW we could have lived in that thing. We didn't even eat half of the bucket between the two of us.


I met Abraham Lincoln! He wasn't very chatty even though I kept asking him about the excitement surrounding the presidential inauguration that was taking place at that very moment! You'd think he'd have more to say on the topic considering Obama has tried to parallel himself to Ol' Abe. Hm.







There was a freaking Ferris Wheel inside one of the stores that we went to! I couldn't believe it when I walked into the place. It was located in Scheel's, a store that will outfit you for any kind of sport known to mankind. Odd combination. You go there to buy a gun or a kayak and get a Ferris Wheel ride on the way out. ?








One thing that Fargo and Cuba had in common were the Margaritas! Whoever invented that blissful drink is a sheer genius in my books. Seriously. I enjoy them a bit too much.




















We also frequented the restaurant 'HuHot', a scrumptious Mongolian grill. On one of our binge trips I noticed the chopsticks packaging and had to take a picture of it. What the picture doesn't show is the period that comes after the word 'history'. So it should read "glorious history. and culture". Too funny.


I also had my first Caribou Coffee! I've noticed this coffee shop franchise everywhere in the states, similar to Starbucks. It was actually really good coffee and I really enjoyed the 'back wood' feel to the place. Cozy. They had a sign on the wall that read, "A day without coffee is like a day without coffee"...how true that is.

It was a really really enjoyable trip and I'm already missing the time that James and I were able to spend with each other. Without having the kids around we were actually able to focus on one another! Rare. I can't wait until we can do it again. However, at the end of the trip we both were very excited to see the kids. It's nice to be together as a family again.

3 comments:

Keanan said...

Mmm...Caribou Coffee. Good choice! :)

Jordan said...

Glad to hear you had a great time down in the Excited States. No one deserves a weekend getaway more than you two. Caribou Coffee is my favourite coffee chain, I wish we had them in Canada.

However, as one who tries to care for his friends, I'm worried about the state of James' masculinity if he's willing to not only drink a margarita (the quintessential girls' drink), but to also allow evidence of this to be displayed on the internet. James, we need to talk.

JuliaD said...

first of all imagine me whistling at you in your bathing suit, bri. wowza!

so nice that you two got to go away together again. definitely a must for most parent couples, i think. :)

and the whole big portions big everything part is something i really noticed after i moved to germay. here, people don't load their plates til they're full. they just put on one normal sized helping. and then they don't even go for seconds! i finally understand why we "americans" get so fed up with trying to lose weight! lol. so in an effort to not look like a pig i have gotten used to eating normal sized portions. and just one helping. it's hard, but i'm really really really hoping i can bring this habit back home with me.

lol.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually