Sunday, February 22, 2009

random bria - foreign children.

I was reading to Rhys the other night when I came across this odd poem. It would be wrong of me to not share it with you...
(this is the actual illustration that goes along with the poem)
Foreign Children
Little Indian, Sioux or Crow,
Little frosty Eskimo,
Little Turk or Japanee,
Oh! don't you wish that you were me?
You have seen the scarlet trees
And the lions over seas;
You have eaten ostrich eggs,
And turned the turtles off their legs.
Such a life is very fine,
But it's not so nice as mine:
You must often, as you trod,
Have wearied not to be abroad.
You have curious things to eat,
I am fed on proper meat;
You must dwell beyond the foam,
But I am safe and live at home.
Little Indian, Sioux or Crow,
Little frosty Eskimo,
Little Turk or Japanee,
Oh! don't you wish that you were me?
-Robert Louis Stevenson-

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Haha, wow! Talk about political incorrectness, not to mention some straight-up white supremacy. All in a kids book, no less. I guess when that poem was written it was a different time, another world. And that illustration just cracks me up. Thanks, Bria.

joyce said...

I came across this same poem when my children were young and I was just blushing for its author. How things have changed! Now we are so-so-much more subtle in our prejudices...

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually