Tuesday, February 10, 2009

sunshine and news.


I've been needing a little bit of sunshine in my life this past week, the dreary February weather has gotten to my already cloudy mind. I keep on hoping that the sun is going to burst out from behind the gloom and warm my soul...but alas, it has not. If you're feeling similar to me then I highly suggest making some wonderful citrus muffins. They are sure to lift your spirits and be the ray of sunshine that you've been looking for. The smell alone makes me feel better!
Sunshine Muffins
1 Orange
1/2 cup of Orange Juice
1 Egg
1/4 cup Oil
1 1/2 cup Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Chopped Nuts (i use walnuts)
Heat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl, set aside. Cut Orange into 8 pieces, yes the entire thing! Place orange, juice, egg and oil into a blender and blend until smooth. Add blended mixture to your dry ingredients and mix only to moisten. Divide into 12 muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy.
James hates raisins and oranges in baking so the kids and I get the whole batch of muffins to ourselves, mmmmmmmm. Anyways, I had a whole other post swirling around in my head over how to tell my readers our rather shitty news but there is no sense in being overly dramatic about it. James lost his job. Yes our family has been hit by the recession, YAY, we won! I think I might just go make another batch of sunshine for myself.

7 comments:

Roo said...

no! i'm so sorry bri!

i'll be thinking/praying for you guys and that a window opens for you through this closed door.
xo

ps those muffins look amazing. i am definitely making some soon. tonight. now.

Roo said...

typo! should say "briA" (the a got forgotton in my sleep deprived head)

Roo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marklar said...

hates raisins and oranges in baking? he's nuts. i oughtta smack him in the nuts. maybe that's going a little too far.

prayers rootin' for ya guys, too. i still need to come on down to erskine town, though this week's weather hasn't been so inviting. how about's next week?

Roo said...

also. i must add that i DID make those muffins and wow...they didn't last long. i won't tell you how many i ate but i will tell you that i loved them.

joyce said...

owie. ouch. yuck. ouch.
sorry.

joyce said...

I mean the recession; not the muffins.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually