Tuesday, June 23, 2009

bread and daisies.

As I watch these two little hearts grow everyday I am left with a desire instill in them things that are precious to my heart. The list is quite long but there are two gems that are very close to the top; gardening and baking. I don't know what it is, and call me silly for saying it if you so please, but there's just something about gardener's and baker's...they've got a sparkle in their eye, a certain beat in their heart and perpetually dirty hands (at least I have dirty hands when I bake). It might be from creating things and tending things or even taking the time to do something beautiful and tasty, but there's something different about 'em. I hope to leave my kids with a set of skills that enables them to do both of these. There's nothing like giving someone a loaf of freshly baked bread or a vase of home grown daisies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes- the onion bread was very tasty. I feel the same way when I bake. It gives me a feeling of home and warmth. I always want someone to walk into my kitchen the moment my baking comes out of the oven.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually