Saturday, June 20, 2009

fill my cup.

{Rhys and Ammie have a sprinkler pad in our yard where they are now spending the majority of their summer days. They are quite funny to watch, with their silly toddler antics and all.}

I had just sat down on my cozy patio chair all ready to snuggle up to a new book when Ammie ran up to me asking for some juice. I was rather hesitant to the idea of marching back inside the house , so I handed her a cup from the table and told her to fill it up with her sprinkler. She got excited and ran over to the pad. Having seen this, Rhys grabbed his cup off of the table and followed suit. Being almost four Rhys fully understands how to fill up a cup from a stream of water. Being almost two , Ammie does not. She took her cup and placed it on top of the stream, then checked to see if she got any in by tipping it over and looking inside. This was repeated enough times for her to get annoyed and for me to solicit Rhys' help. I asked Rhys to ask Ammie if she would like Rhys to fill up the cup for her. So he asked. Amelia screamed and ran away with a firm toddler grasp on the cup, only to come back and try, rather unsuccessfully, again. She didn't want her big brother touching her cup...she wanted to do it herself. Rhys offered his help again. She ran away again. Then she tried again. And she failed again. She got frustrated again. She screamed again. He offered again. Ammie would not let Rhys fill her cup with a refreshing drink of cool water. She just wouldn't give it over. It was a hot day, and she needed the sip.

As I watched this scene unfold before me I couldn't help but notice how similar I am to my stubborn little girl. I hold my 'cup' with such a tight grasp and I want it filled up with patience, grace, and love. I try and try and try to fill it myself, even though I don't have the strength or the power or the wisdom. Even when help is right beside me...being offered! God stands there wanting me to pass him my cup so I don't have to run on empty, but all too often I just run away and try to do it myself like a stubborn toddler.


Within a few moments Ammie figured out how to fill her own cup. She decided to just watch and learn so I supposed that's where my analogy stops. Even so, the whole scene stuck in my mind for long enough that a prayer was made and my heart was affected (and I'm pretty sure that's what counts).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Bria. You are such a blessing to me.

Anonymous said...

Isn't everyone like that? Like a toddler? Maybe it's because we have some control over what we do everyday. Like what we're going to wear, and what we're going to eat for our breakfast. I love how God is so patient and loving. And Bria, you're not alone. We all have our days.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually