Friday, June 12, 2009

random bria - i am a busy bee.


I recently noticed my friends status update on Facebook read, 'Jane (name is changed) is looking forward to going on maternity leave in two weeks!' One of her friends had left a comment underneath the status saying, 'Gee, I wish I could go on a vacation for 9 months!' I was disgusted that someone out there thinks that maternity leave and staying at home with your children is a vacation! Sure, it's not conventional work...you don't have a boss, you don't have deadlines, you don't have to hand in TPS reports, but BY GOLLY IT'S STILL WORK! So in celebration of being a stay at home mom I am giving you a list of things that I've accomplished by 10:30 today. Here you go:

(in no particular order)
  • packed up all of the garbage and recycling and put it out
  • made muffins
  • set-up a tea party for Rhys and his imaginary jousting friends
  • made coffee and then had a cup with James
  • pondered what it means to be a godly woman
  • fed the kids
  • made soup
  • cleaned the kitchen
  • cleaned-up the tea party
  • folded some laundry
  • thought about the characters in the book I'm currently reading
  • got the kids dressed
  • taught Rhys how to properly wash dishes
  • got myself dressed and ready for the day
  • called my sister and my mother and asked them questions about soup-making
  • and, finally, wrote this blog!

There you go! All by 10:30.

5 comments:

Roo said...

wow. well done.

i know the whole "you don't have a job" thing really BUGS me too. you know the kind of conversation that goes like this:
"where do you work?"
"i'm a stay at home mom"
"oh...so you don't work..."

!!!?!! um.
my mom used to tell people she was a "household engineer". it sounded so much more *impressive* than sahm and got a few raised eyebrows at the same time.

Roo said...

ps oh...thanks for the composter tip but I GOT ONE!!!! a town nearby was selling them and my super sweet mama picked it up for me. i love it. composting makes me VERY happy.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! People don't know what they're talking about when they say "being a stay at home mom isn't a job." It's draining both emotionally and physically. Although I wouldn't know because I'm not a stay at home mom. I'm not even a mom yet. But you can tell, by looking at a mom.

Anonymous said...

Bria, you are a great mom and your kids (like mine) (I think) will thank you some day for being there for them. I feel sad that now I am so busy that I don't have oddles of time for everyone. Enjoy every minute, cause the minutes fly by!

JuliaD said...

you are so right, bri. as far as i'm concerned being a stay at home mom is one of the hardest jobs out there. plus your work makes a huge difference. much more than most peoples'. hats off.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually