Monday, June 29, 2009

my new mantra.

James and I had the privilege of attending his youngest sisters baptism yesterday morning. Alongside Chelsea there were seven others who shared their testimonies and 'took the plunge' in front of hundreds of people, letting the congregation know that they too were followers of Christ. I've seen numerous baptisms since being brought up in a Christian home and generally accepted this was something that was done when a Christian decided to follow Christ full-hearted, whether young or old. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started becoming emotional during these events, possibly because I had such an incredible experience surrounding my baptism (but that's another story for another post). Regardless of what has triggered me into becoming a blubbering mess during these confessions of faith, I was quite moved by yesterday's service (to the point that I was biting my tongue to keep from experiencing more that just a chin-quiver). Every testimony and baptism was touching and special in it's own right, but it was actually a verse that a young man read that had me the most moved and affected to the point that I was positive it was being read to me. The verse came from John 16:33 and it reads,
"In this world you will have trouble.
But take heart!
I have overcome the world."

It would be no stretch for me to say that since James has been laid off each month has been more financially and emotionally taxing than the last. I am hoping that with James now getting steady work with a good company we will enter into a more restful time, but my nerves are already shot and I'm so easily stressed by the smallest things. However, with all of this trouble whirling around me, I know that God is working in my heart and I know that there have been specific words/books/people/situations that are causing me to think twice and change my attitudes towards so many things. One book that has been a rather unexpected eye-opener is Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig which is an account of how the 24-7 prayer movement began and how it is awakening a whole generation of young people. If you haven't read it I highly recommend picking it up and reading account after account of the power that prayer has. Truly incredible. Anyways, the words that were read yesterday have caused me to stop and re-examine my worry and stress. Obviously I can't rid my life of conflict and trouble, but why not cast my cares on the one who has already overcome the world? There isn't a long enough vacation or large enough pile of money that could bring that much peace to my soul.

When I came back from YWAM in Australia I started experiencing significant twists and turns/highs and lows in my life; some easy to deal with and some...not so much. James gave me a verse soon after I came back which has become my 'recite50milliontimesaweeksoIdon'tloosemymindandgopostal' verse. It is Psalm 27:5, and it reads, "For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." While I LOVE these words and while they've gotten me through many dark and lonely days (and I'm sure I'll still be flipping to them over and over), I think it's time to move on. I feel that God is telling me, through a series of events, to focus on Him overcoming and that I too can overcome, not just hide away. I think it's time to make John 16:33 my new mantra.

And while I'm on that topic, what is your verse or mantra that gets you through?

{p.s. i'm officially done my year of thrifting!}

6 comments:

JuliaD said...

I would have to say that I often feel as if my life has been too easy. I haven't had to go through anything one would call "hardship". At least not what I would consider hardship. So I often feel like I'm walking on egg shells, waiting for the ball to drop. Waiting for something to explode or implode...or something with plode. I feel like my life has often been too good to be true and something truly awful must be just around the corner.
So I would have to say my verse is Jeremiah 29:11 where I remind myself: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Roo said...

ahhh! so encouraged by this post! i am also reading that book....red moon rising...

THE verse that became MY verse is found in isaiah....actually, come to think about it...its the whole chapter. isaiah 62. :)

Roo said...

ps and i had to add....another chapter (i guess i'm a bit of a blabber mouth cuz i can't stick to just verses. haha)
is isaiah 54. this chapter has been very meaningful to me for about 14 years now. it's a part of me.

Anonymous said...

For me, I often have to battle through insecurities and the feeling like I won't be able to handle whatever God has set before me. I find it difficult to trust God to "be there" when I step out in faith. So the verse that has special meaning for me is 2 Cor 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Anonymous said...

what about a really really big pile of money...

Jay said...

One of my personal bests is 1 Peter 4:12-13, “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; But rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when his glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy." I guess, that no matter what we encounter, we're not supposed to be surprised, we're supposed to be ready for it. No matter what it is.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually