Thursday, June 5, 2008

dandelions.



DANDELIONS! I'd always thought they were so whimsical and amazing. Children love them for their fluffs and their numbers. "Little yellow flowers everywhere!" trumpets the dandelion-crazed toddler, "So many fluffs to blow around! It doesn't matter how many I pick in one day because there are twice as many the next...and mom doesn't even get mad that I play with them!"
I usually fancy the persistant flower...until I started caring for my own yard. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! I've Killexed so many of the little pests only to turn around and see that they have multiplied behind my back. I've spent hours pulling up plants...breaking my back trying to get the whole root up only to find they've formed impenetrable formations the very next day. I now understand why nearly every adult hates the stinkin' weed. They are impossible to get rid of. As I glance out my front door I can see my neighbour picking one of the two she has on her lawn. *GASP* How has she accomplished such an impossible task!? I must consult with her.
And yet, in all of my frusteration for the little plant, I can't fully hate them. I feel like a Dandelion most days. I've also listened to a Five Iron Frenzy song called 'Dandelions' one too many times. I've posted the song (right above) so those that are interested can know what I'm talking about.
'Lord search my heart
Create in me something clean
Dandelions
You see flowers in these weeds.'

1 comment:

Roo said...

dandelions totally speak to me. i've always thought it a bit strange that we spend so much money and work soooo hard in an attempt to get rid of them.

personnally, i would leave them on my yard. BUT i'm scared my neighbors would stone me. ;)

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually