Monday, June 2, 2008

a wonderful woman.


This past January I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Mexico with my Grandmother and my kids. It was such a good bonding experience; walking on the beach, suntanning together, going for fancy-schmancy meals, ordering a few too many margaritas, getting massages beside each other. I've always lived a few provinces over from my dad's parents and I've cherished each opportunity that I've had to see them. My Grandpa passed away a few year ago, so now I want to collect as many memories and stories from time spent with my Grandma as I possibly can.
Last week my Grandmother was in town for a wedding and was able to have lunch with my mother, siblings, myself and our kids. It was loud and chaotic over lunch time at Tim Horton's and I didn't get much 'Grandma-time'. However, it turned out she was unable to go back to my uncles house until 5:00 and needed a place to crash. Everyone else was busy so she came home with me. I must admit that at first I was a little nervous...my house was a mess and I hadn't been expecting company. The time with my Grandmother turned out to be wonderful. As she fell asleep on my couch (snoring and all) I made some muffins, put the tea on and tidied up. After she woke up we had a snack and chatted about life and the different things that kept her occupied back in 'the day'.
What struck me, and will stick in my head for a very long time, was her hard work. I'm sure most Grandparents (or Great Grandparents) would have similar stories...and I love hearing them...but it is different when it's your own. She explained to me that every night she would bathe the 6 kids and put them to bed from 7-8 and then from 8-10 or 11 she would knit or sew EVERY NIGHT! She would take clothes what were too small or wearing down cut them up and make new ones for the kids to wear. She became so fast that she was able to sew 3 pairs of overalls a night. I was shocked by this fact. I only have 2 kids and I wonder where my days go (and I buy their clothes!). How different we've become. We have microwaves, washing machines, disposable diapers, superstores, the Internet...I have nothing on my Grandmother. I am a bump on a log compared to her. What a wonderful reminder of how lazy I actually am.
As we sat a chatted I changed Amelia's poopy diaper for the fourth time that day. I made a grumbling comment about it and was put in my place by a firm, "Well, at least you don't have to wash them on a washing board!" How true. I hope and pray that I become half the woman my Grandmother is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so true. I think about that all the time. I complain about going to school during the day and then working in the evening after, but heck, i hardly have to actually DO anything. imagine the incredible amounts of PHYSICAL labour that our great grandparents/grandparents had to do. like you said, no microwaves, washing machines, dishwashers...all kinds of stuff! that is crazy. and after they put the kids to bed they still had hours of work to do. it's unbelievably admirable. i guess every generation is like that. as technology improves the younger generation gets to be a bit lazier each time. pretty lame. but all i know is, i would never last a DAY in my grandma's shoes! :)

Jordan said...

About a year ago we were without a microwave for a week when it broke down. I never realized how much we used one until we couldn't use it. Lunch took twice as long to prepare since we had to heat leftovers in the oven.

This post about your grandma reminds me of my grandpa. My mom said she has never, not once, heard him complain about anything, even disposing of the contents of the carry-out toilet every day when she was little. To contrast, yesterday I got annoyed when the TV remote control wouldn't work. Sure puts things in perspective... Maybe we should all go back to using butter churns.

Roo said...

good reminder. i too have learned priceless lessons from my own grandmother. she was a mama to 13 children. when some of her babies were little she had as little as only 3 cloth diaper per time! and no washing machine or dryer either. it was a continuous, never ending cycle of washing by hand and hanging the diaper by the wood stove.

and....she never complained either. or offered a negative word. infact, she ended up taking in several foster children as well that didn't have a place to stay.

hmmm....maybe i should post about my grandma too.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually