Sunday, July 13, 2008

amelia kate.

As my little girl approaches her first birthday I am full of mixed emotions. I am excited for the first stages of toddlerhood; the discovering, the walking, the talking. I loved when Rhys was in that stage. All of their little personalities start coming out and you really get a taste of what they are going to be like, yet they still have the baby in them. I'm excited for that. However, I feel hesitant and sad.

My life, a year ago, was horribly stressed. James and I were looking for a place to live in the city because we had to be out of our house in Niverville by August 1st. We couldn't afford to buy a place so renting was the only option. I called so many apartments hoping that each one would take us.
*We were desperate and I was worried.* A number of landlords said 'no' over the phone when they learnt we had kids. *This infuriated me. I wanted to slap them in the face.* As I crossed off each day in my planner it got closer and closer to the box that held a big 'BABY IS DUE!' exclamation. I had been excited for Amelia but to be honest, it was off and on. So much happened that I wasn't expecting...for months I had wrestled with God wondering why He had given us another child in such an unstable home. It hurt. I could feel my relationship with God slipping away. It hurt some more.

After going through a sort-of postpartum depression after I had Rhys I was very hesitant to have our next baby and go through that again. This was part of my motivation for going on anti-depressants before I had her. I wanted to ward off the baby blues as much as I could. I had to pack-up my home, move my family, be my sisters maid-of-honor (three weeks after my due date) and somehow look after an infant (and a toddler)...and I was already stressed to begin with. It was just too much.

In preparing myself for a new baby and labour I tried to take on the 'whatever happens happens' attitude that I had held onto with Rhys. I tried to tell others that it was what I felt. Truth is, it wasn't. In my heart of hearts I had prayed and prayed that it would be a little girl, that my labour would be fast, that I wouldn't go past my due date, that I would give birth during the day, that I wouldn't need drugs, that she would be cuddly, that she would sleep insanely well, and on and on and on. I had prayed for so many specific things that I felt silly and quite dumb.

On July 25th, which was my due date,
*our landlords had given us an extra month to stay in the house* I woke up in the morning and found that I had some fairly consistent contractions. I called my mom and she drove out to Niverville to take care of Rhys. James and I headed for Steinbach hoping we would only have to make one trip. Other than having to walk through the mall for an hour as the hospital prepared a room for me the labour went incredibly well. It was everything that I had been hoping and praying for...it was still horribly painful but that was fine with me. As they placed the baby on my tummy and announced that it was a little girl I felt overcome with emotion. It was crazy, it was weird, it was wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better labour and I couldn't have asked for a better baby. Amelia is a cuddle bug and she (from the DAY she was born) only woke up once a night to eat and would sleep soundly the rest of the time.

A few weeks after she was born it dawned on me that God had been more than faithful. I know that we don't always get what we pray for and we rarely know what's best for us but in my heart I realized that this whole package of Amelia was a blessing for me and my relationship with Him. It felt like God was trying to show me that He is beside me and always listening. I hope this makes sense.

With all of that said, I feel a bit sad to be moving on from Amelia's baby stage. On the other hand I'm excited to see if Amelia is as odd as her brother
*which I'm sure she will be*.


Amelia Kate - 12 months (almost)

1 comment:

JuliaD said...

and her adopted-auntie julia is missing her!!! i still remember the phone call from james the afternoon she was born. i am so blessed to be a part of your lives, and through you a part of hers. :)

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually