Tuesday, July 15, 2008

decaf won't do...i need an intervention.


I hate to say it, but I'm addicted to coffee. Horribly addicted. Horribly. I love it! I love the smell, the taste, the cup, the process, the sipping, the nurturing, the ritual, the anticipation...yes, obsessed.
I started drinking coffee at a very young age, in fact I can't remember a time that I didn't drink it. It's always been there to relax with. Coffee has been consistent during periods of upheaval. Coffee is always present during times of deep conversation with friends. Coffee is dependable!
I first started sensing something was off when I started getting excited to go to bed just so that I could wake up to have my morning coffee. Odd. I also realized I had issues when I could consume copious amounts of the drink and still crave more. It's music to my ears when someone offers a coffee and it's candy to my eyes to see a Tim Horton's sign.

No, decaf just wont do...I need an intervention. In my attempt to simplify I've decided to walk away from my life long friend for a little while. I don't feel healthy being so addicted to a little drink. Like I've said before, I need to de-clutter and make room for the Lord to speak. Some may wonder what the heck drinking coffee has to do with hearing God but I know that it will be good for me on many levels. I'll try not to cry too much.

As poorly written as it is, I HAVE to include a poem that I wrote in Jr. High because it's just so fitting. It shows just how obsessed I am. Enjoy.


COFFEE

I sit and I watch. I watch the white come out in a heavenly waterfall.
So smooth.
So silky.
It begins to live and have a purpose.
It pours out of it's tightly sealed life and falls
down,
down,
down.
It meets with the darkness.
Like volcanic lava it bundles,
slides,
settles.
It changes faces before my eyes.
I look into it and bring it to my mouth.
My awaiting tongue reaches for the taste of it.
I am immediately lifted.
A renewal,
a cleansing,
rushes through my blood.
I hold the sweet yet bitter flavour and await the next
downpour of this heavenly potion called
coffee.

*****************************








Amelia Kate - 10 months

No comments:

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually