Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

I love Garbage Day! You get to gather all of your trash, bundle it up in a big bag, throw it in the back lane and watch as someone else hauls it away...gone, vam-oosh, out of your life! I love it! Now, if only everything else could be like that. If only I could walk around with a big garbage bag and say goodbye to the mess, the dishes, the laundry, the wet towels, the toys, the Kleenex, the dusting, the clothes. BAG IT! HAUL IT! BE GONE! Just let someone else deal with it. If only my one responsibility was to bag things.

I try very hard to be a clean person. As the saying goes, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." I'm starting to believe that. My mother-in-law once told me that she had always wanted to write a book entitled, "The World Is A Better Place When The Toilet Bowl Is Clean." Being clean doesn't come naturally to me...being a total slob doesn't either. I find I'm somewhere in the middle and I would most likely be okay with that if I didn't have a husband and two kids who are a little closer to the 'slob' side. I love them, but MAN this place can get MESSY! For a long time I would just get annoyed about the mess that seemed to grow bigger and bigger every time I tried to tackle it. Then I read a book. A good book called, "How to live with a Messie". It helped me see that I need to tackle myself and myself alone. I do need to teach my kids to be clean, but other than that I can only improve my own habits. I also started to notice that mess really affects my mood. If I don't keep the house tidy I WILL be a bitch. And that's a scientific fact! So now I try very very very hard to be clean. There are days where I fail horribly, weeks even. I would say my biggest hurdle is the laundry. So much laundry in such little time. That and I forget. A whole day will go by before I think to myself, "Gee, that washing machine must be finished sometime soon!" Or I'll wake up to James asking, "Honey...do I have any pants to wear today?" in which I promptly reply, "Probably not"...sad. I am trying and I have come a long way. But, I should be cleaning right now. Bye.



Amelia Kate - 2 months

3 comments:

JuliaD said...

well, all i know is that you often apologized for "the mess" when I came over, but I have to say, it never looked messy to me. You always have a lovely and welcoming home, bri.

Roo said...

are you reading my mail??? this is my latest and largest wrestle. i am SOOOO NASTY when the house is messy....and even nastier when the house is messy AND i haven't had very much sleep. (both of which are curently in short supply)

i hope i sleep tonight. and so does my awfully sweet and forgiving husband ;)

bria erskine said...

haha. it seems we are on the same page in a few parts of our lives ruth! i haven't been able to read your blog lately...for some reason my computer locks up every time i go onto your page. i think it started right around the time my brother-in-law installed a computer game on our computer. hmmmm. i do miss reading it though, hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually