Wednesday, August 6, 2008

knit-wit


I've taken up knitting...again. I bought a book, yarn and knitting needles a little over a year ago. I managed to learn the 'cast-on' and 'knit stitch', but that was all. I quickly became frustrated at how sloppy it all looked. That and the pictures for the 'cast-off' were so confusing they could have been hieroglyphics for all I knew.
When I decided to take up the skill I had a romanticized idea of what it would be like. I would catch on quickly, read the pattern well, zip off a few practice squares and be sewing cute hats for my kids in no time at all. Heck, they would be so cute people would start buying them! The perfect fool-proof plan.

I should know myself by now. James does! James is well aware of this trait in me and refuses to contribute vast amounts of money to my crafty whims. I do this all of the time. I'm not much of a 'band-waggon' type of person except when it comes to crafts. I get excited about learning new skills...is that so bad!??!

I woke up yesterday morning and decided to start again. This time it would be different! It would come quickly, I would understand the instructions, I would zip off a few practice squares and start knitting some cute mittens for the kids. EASY! Hmmmmmm.

I scrounged through the back of a cupboard hoping to locate my unused knitting supplies. BINGO! Yarn-check. Book-check. Knitting Needles-One. What!? What the heck am I going to do with one!? I rummaged around the house some more and was able to locate the next best thing...drumsticks. So, I sat down and tried to re-learn the two things that I had learnt a year ago.

I read the 'cast-on' instructions, looked at the pictures and made my attempt. I again read the 'cast-on' instructions, looked at the pictures and made my attempt. I, for the third time, read, looked, read then looked, read and looked...looked then read...read...looked...attempt...NADA! I think that I sat for 45 minutes trying to figure it out. Praise the Lord for online knitting tutorials because after an hour of failing miserably at making a simple knot with a stick I was ready to hunt down the author of the 'New Knitter' book and murder them with a drumstick. Haha...I'm kidding (but...not).

I've got the 'cast-on' and 'knit stitch' down but they both look very sloppy. I'm sure this is partially due to the fact that I'm using drum sticks for knitting needles. I am determined to learn, it just might take some time...a lot of time.

2 comments:

JuliaD said...

you're funny, bri. by the time i get back i expect a whole new knitted wardrobe. :)

Roo said...

go bria! i know about obsessions with knitting. its my big dream to knit. unforchunately, i have not been blessed with a large amount of patience. and so my loved ones that surround me probably breathe a sigh of relief when the knitting gets packed away and i swear (once more) not to ever knit again.

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually