Monday, September 22, 2008

homesteading (part one)

"Homesteading applies to anyone who is a part of the back-to-the-land movement and who chooses to live sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle."

I guess you could say that it all started with me being surrounded by a lot of nature and open spaces growing up. Every house I lived in during my childhood backed onto a forest or field. The first house was fenced in and I was much too young to be let loose onto the wilderness around. The second house backed onto a small forest which quickly turned into anything our little minds wanted it to be. We had a wicked fort that was home to many afternoon games of 'Indians' or whatever else we could make up on the spot.

In between my second and third house my family took a year 'off ', bought a Motor home, and travelled in a circle around the United States visiting 23 states. We stayed at many many camp grounds in beautiful state parks and out-of-the-way locations. More-often-than-not my sister, brother and I would be out the door and scampering into the wilderness as soon as we pulled into a new lot. We would scout out the location; taking into consideration distance to water, high land, look-outs, and so on. We would set up 'camp' and begin our adventures. My brother was Chief Eagle Feather (or Eagle something), my sister was the hunter, and I was....oh yes, the squaw! We visited both the east and west coast, the Louisiana Bayou, the desert, and the Grand Canyon...just to name a few.

My third house was on Liberty Street; inside the city limits but with a feel of the country. We had a few acres which backed onto a farmers field (I always loved running in and out of the corn). Our neighbour across from us has some goats, cows, donkeys and a Great Dane that was bigger than most of his animals. It was just perfect.

So I guess that's where it started. The seed was planted long ago. So many open spaces full of beauty and fresh air. Places to breath, places to create, places away from the hustle and bustle of cities. I always find it amazing how alive you become when you take away the distractions; your heart begins to loose the numbness, your mind begins to clear, your life becomes fresh again and there is a new vigor in your step. Some people are city dwellers and they live for that lifestyle. Not me.
"Men are better watching the seasons and putting good into the earth than running together in cities where they listen all day to each others noises."
-Mary Renault

(I posted this picture because my mom says it reminders her of an old photo of pioneers. I love this shot of James and I and I love even more that it looks how our hearts feel. I hope that makes sense.)

3 comments:

Keanan said...

I know what you mean. For me, going to the city for anything past bubble tea or eating out is just a chore. I loathe it, actually. I totally perfer the openness (of the people and the landscape) created in the country. I could use a few more woods, creeks, and hills, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is let everyone else move to the city if that is their goal in life. Cool. That just means more room for me out here.

JuliaD said...

1) I know exactly how you feel about the city vs. country thing. i am definitely a small town/country girl. it's weird living in a city right now. but i know that it's only for 8 months, so it's kind of a good experience...cuz i know it'll be over someday. lol. but it is nice having a bunch of stores 5 minutes away from me...seeing as how i don't have a car.

2) I love your guys's wedding pics. love

Becky said...

What a beautiful pic, Bria! I'm definitely a country bumkin too:)

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually