Saturday, September 13, 2008

random bria.

I'm not usually one for outright copying people, however, when I come across a good idea there is no stopping trying to make it work in my own 'bria' way. I was out surfing through the blogging world last week and stumbled upon a blogger that was going through 100 facts about herself (which she had admittedly stolen from someone's blog). I thought that this was a fantastic idea (but one which wouldn't work for me at all). I love random things, unexpected things, somewhat useless things, and most-of-all random things...oops, that was my first one, well, I DO love random things. Take, for instance, my total love for the art of Improv. LOVE IT! It was one of my favorite things to do in High School and then again in University. I love movies and t.v. shows that use a substantial amount of improvisation (A Mighty Wind, Best In Show, The Office) and I love the thrill of being in a, more-often-than-not, comedic situation and having to think on your toes. Anyways, I got a bit sidetracked there...what I'm trying to say is that I think I will start a 'random bria' series. I don't think that I could come up with 100 random facts all at once so I will randomly post random facts! I know, I know I'm a genius.

First random bria post:
I box! Well, I did...up until my class was over. I started boxing in January and I quickly fell in love with pretty much everything about it (excluding the 5 minutes of jump rope as warm-up exercises...apparently I left my jump roping abilities back in kindergarten). I had some martial arts training when I was younger (another random bria fact) so I had a bit of background with punches and stance, this helped me to catch on fairly quickly. Now, I have to point out...THIS WAS NOT NOT NOT BOXERCISE! This was a class at an actual boxing club (United Boxing Club, to be exact) and they were very serious about teaching us how to actually box. I really enjoyed the feeling of not being able to move my limbs the next day, it meant that I was doing something productive! I started to question my involvement in the class when they introduced the 'Spartan 300'...300 push-up in one hour, broken up into sets of 25 randomly dispersed into the rest of the grueling boxing class. Despite the knot in my stomach I would get before each class I pushed on and felt a bit more proud of myself after each class was over. One of my proudest moments during my boxing classes is when I came home and punched James (by his request...he thought that it was 'cute' that I was learning how to fight) and I actually hurt him! Odd, I know. I really miss boxing and I hope to start again soon, it turned out to be a great outlet for a lot of things I had been keeping inside of me. That and people always gave me a weird look when I told them I was boxing...it's always a good idea to mix it up a bit. :)

2 comments:

Roo said...

:)
i love that pic of you and your sista on the side bar.

and i love it that you BOX. it just seems right.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bria,
Thanks for making my boxing coloring page your first random bria post! But, ehhhh, how do I say this to a woman who boxes.... I'd really would like you to link to my web log, like it says on my copyright page.

Hope you won't punch me for this ;-)

Frank

http://www.letmecolor.com/copyright/

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually