Tuesday, September 9, 2008

little boy.

It was three years ago today that they wrapped you up into a little bundle and put you into my arms. So little, so new. You looked at me for the longest time and you seemed so pensive; not too sure of this unusual place, not too sure of these funny faces. I had no idea what to do with you, I hadn't ever changed a diaper before! I wondered if I would be a good mom, I wondered if I would be able to somehow make this work. You weren't planned...by us, and we were so young.

We took you home to our little apartment on Maryland Street and began to figure out this whole 'parenting' thing. We slowly got to know each other and you started communicating, it started as just a little squawk which then turned into a very loud squawk. Soon the corners of your mouth would turn up when you saw my face and your little limbs would flap around wildly when we would play. I caught-on to the art of changing diapers and breastfeeding while you caught-on to the art of pooping everywhere and eating. You turned out to be such a wonderful little baby.

Now you are 3, three, three, THREE! I just can't believe that time has flown by this quickly and your are no longer my baby, you are my big boy! I wish I could go back or push a pause button to soak it all in just for a little longer, but I can't...time doesn't stop for emotional mothers. Every day you get bigger and bigger and I am amazed by the person you are turning into. I love so much about you; your adorable smile, your contagious laugh, your love/hate relationship with robots, your obsession with tattoo's, the 'fire in you' that makes you run around the house 24/7, the way you love your sister, the way you adore your entire family (aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, and friends), how much of a boy you are, the way you say 'chep-up' for 'ketchup', the fact that snuggling up with mommy and daddy for a special movie night in your jammies with a huge bowl of pop corn is one of the best things you can think of, and I especially, especially love when you tell me that I'm pretty and you think that I'm precious. You are so special to me and I'm so happy that God had you planned for your Dad and I. There are times when my mind wanders back to what our lives would be like if God had planned it differently and I always come up with the same conclusion...empty. You fill this house with so much laughter, love, energy and chaos...I wouldn't have it any other way.





Happy Birthday Rhys!

2 comments:

Roo said...

happy birthday! what a sweet boy you have. totally LOVE that last photo.

JuliaD said...

bri you're not allowed to make me cry while i'm over here! oh, and i wanted to wish rhys a happy bday yesterday but my aunt's computer is a ****** and the internet kept disconnecting. lol. so say happy bday to him from me today, kay? love and miss you guys. can't believe it's three years ago that I came to see the new baby boy and his distressed mother. it's wonderful to see what you two have taught one another... :)

one great quote...

"whenever i get gloomy with the state of the world, i think of the arrivals gate at heathrow airport. general opinion makes out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, i don't see that. seems to me that love is everywhere. often it's not articularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. when the planes hit the twin towers, i have reason to believe that none of the calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. if you look for it, i've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." -Love Actually